Success is something that we all rightfully desire. God promises us good success when we walk in His ways. Yet, sometimes, the desire for success can also become a harmful idol. When we misinterpret God's definition of success or yearn for worldly success more than our relationship with God or other people, we place ourselves in danger of drawing the consequences of idolatry.
- How have you viewed success and achievement in your own life? Have you pursed the things of God instead of pursuing God? Explain.
- Make a list of things that you have pursued that are what Solomon would describe as “Hevel”-smoke or vapor. How has Satan set you up in your pursuits of counterfeits instead of pursuing God?
- What does fearing God mean to you? What does scripture mean when it says, “Fear God?”
- Read Galatians 2:20. How is this passage a great description of the Christian’s identity?
- What does it mean to you when you hear people say, I have a new life in Christ?