The biblical authors don’t reserve the word ministry merely for those in vocational gospel work or for pastors. Instead, every Christian is involved in the work of the ministry. Paul makes this point explicit in Ephesians 4:11-12.
- Are you serving in a ministry currently? Why or why not?
- What does it mean for you to fulfill your ministry?
- Pastors equip the members, and the members are the ones “building up the body of Christ”. Equipped by the word, we echo that same word to one another, “[speak] the truth in love” so that we “grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ”. Thus, “each part” must do its job so that the body “builds itself up in love”. Paul emphasizes the centrality of the congregation to care for and minister to one another. How are you currently caring for those in this congregation?
- How has the church been “family” in your own life?
- Who are you currently disciplining? Why is that so important?