Passage: Matthew 1:1-2:23
Matthew is trying to communicate, in his own artistic way, that the coming of Jesus was a perfect and perfectly-timed fulfillment of God’s promises. Fourteen is two 7’s. And 7, of course, is the biblical number of completion. This was not just perfect, it was perfect perfect. And also, in Hebrew, the numerical value of 3 letters of David’s name is 14, so history is like a kaleidoscope where all the generations point to a King like David. Matthew is showing, in a Jewish, artistic way, that God is always faithful, always in control, always working to fulfill his promise in his perfectly designed way.
- Why is it hard for us to wait?
- We have been like Israel and wondered if God has forsaken us. Has there every been a time in your life where you felt like God has left you alone? Describe that experience.
- Do you believe that God will turn your chaos into his perfection? Explain your answer.
- What we think we need is not what we need. How has Jesus been everything we need?
- Christ came to reconcile us to God. What does that actually mean?