Passage: 1 Samuel
At the end of the day, the most important quality in a leader’s life is character. In our day we are painfully aware of leaders who look so flashy and attractive on the outside, but time, trial and temptation reveal that what’s on the inside was not nearly as beautiful as what we saw on the outside.
- Name examples in our modern world where leaders ran their own offense and ended up in great trouble.
- Why does God prioritize character so much? Why do we always get caught up in the “flashiness” of a leader instead of depending on the character of a leader?
- Explain in your own words the statement, “The number 1 substitute for obedience is religion?” Has that happened in your own life? Explain.
- Rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. Refusing to surrender to God’s authority is the original sin, and when you do that, you are following Satan. How have you rebelled against God in your own life?
- What do you see as your primary source of identity, security, and happiness? If God is the source of those things, then the most important consideration is whether they will help you obey God. Is that how you are living your life? Explain.