Passage: 1 Samuel
1 Samuel 17 is all about courage--it might be the most famous courage story in the world: the story of David and Goliath. In this story we see 4 kinds of courage... Saul: he has no courage... Israel: they have disappointed courage... Goliath: he has counterfeit courage... David, who’s got real courage.
- What is your definition of courage? Why does having the right definition of courage matter?
- How have you responded with the bullies of life? What does it mean to have courage when you are overwhelmed by the harsh realities of life?
- We ask, “How big is our enemy and do we have anybody big enough to beat him?” David asked, “What does God want to do in this situation?” Why is that a different question to ask?
- How does Goliath remind you of Satan? How does Jesus’ life, death, and resurrection defeat Goliath’s threats and accusations?
- What does it mean to you to have audacious courage?