Passage: 1 Samuel
What do you do when the path you’re on takes an expected turn for the worst? What do you do when life takes a negative turn you weren’t expecting? I want to use these stories of David today to warn you against a temptation we tend to fall into in moments like that--and that is, to take matters into your own hands; or, to put it in theological terms: to attempt to perfect by the flesh what was promised in the Spirit. This is a major theme in the Bible; you see almost every Bible character go through a season like this, and today we’ll see it happen to David.
- What have you done when your life has taken an unexpected turn? How have you trusted God in those moments?
- How has Satan tempted you to take matters into your own hands? How have you responded to those temptations?
- The biggest obstacles in your lives are not your “Sauls” but your inability to wait. How has your inability to wait on God created problems in your life?
- Can you define God’s purpose for your life? What is God calling you to do in this season?
- Jesus not only spared us, he died in our place so we could be fully restored to our place with God. How does that make you feel?