Passage: Romans 5:1-11
In this chapter Paul goes from argumentation for the gospel to celebration of the gospel. Luther calls these verses the happiest text in Romans. They are a miniature version of Romans 8.
- Describe a time where God taught you in your suffering.
- How do you feel when you go to God? Do you feel like he generally disapproves of you--like you need to negotiate with him? Or maybe that he’s not really listening, or not that concerned with what is going on? Or, do you come with the awareness that he is a tender Father who couldn’t love you any more than he does?
- What does it mean to rejoice in our afflictions?
- Why is worship so important in the midst of our suffering?
- Worship is a declaration of faith not a depiction of your feelings. It’s a defiant declaration that ‘I am not how I feel. My life is not what circumstances may say it is.’ React to that statement.